Addressing and Dealing With Your Plumbing
Like many other homeowners, your garbage disposal is an essential feature of your kitchen. It helps you keep things cleaner. It’s a feature that you love and when something goes wrong, it can feel like a major inconvenience to live without. Well, you don’t have to anymore. When you need any kind of garbage disposal repair in West Los Angeles, CA, look no further than Sunset West Plumbing & Rooter Inc.. Call us today at (310) 454-2010 to schedule an appointment.
Signs of a Bad Garbage Disposal
While it can be easy to know when you need central heating repair, it can be difficult to know when it’s time for garbage disposal repairs. Homeowners either use their disposal constantly or on rare occasions, but there doesn’t really seem to be an in-between. Because of that, we’ve compiled a few signs to look for to determine if you need repairs or not.
- Smells and Odors: Most disposals are going to smell or at least have a distinct smell. That can easily be dealt with, but if you are starting to notice very foul odors that linger long after you’ve done using the system, something is wrong. Likely, food is lodged and stuck down in the drain, unable to be ground up by the blades.
- Leaks: Not all leaks are associated with a faulty disposal, but the ones that are needed to be addressed as soon as possible. A plumber may need to reseal inner parts or do other jobs such as faucet and fixture repair. Whatever needs to be done, leaking disposals can lead to other major problems which is why they need to be dealt with quickly.
- Jams and Clogs: When you find your disposal constantly clogging or becoming jammed, a number of things could be wrong. The motor may need to be replaced as it could be losing power too quickly. Or the blades may need to be replaced because they could be dull.
- Noises: All disposal make noise when they are running, but there are good sounds and bad sounds. When you start to notice grinding, whining, or squealing sounds, something is wrong. These sounds could be the result of clogs, damaged blades and more.
- No Longer Working: Something is definitely wrong when your disposal just won’t turn on. You can check that it’s still receiving power by hitting the reset button. If nothing happens even after that, you will want to contact a plumber for assistance.
Whether your garbage disposal is jammed or just suffering from dull blades, you need a professional plumber to take care of things. For that, rely on Sunset West Plumbing & Rooter Inc.. We can help with a number of plumbing services, including repairing a residential garbage disposal. Give us a call today for more information.
Garbage Disposal Repair or Replace
Should you repair or replace your disposal when it starts acting up? That’s a great question! The course of action you take will depend on whatever is going on with the disposal itself. If it seems to be clogging constantly or smells bad long after you’re done using it, you may just need a few repairs. However, if the disposal is failing to effectively grind up food, repairs may not cut it. Yes, you can easily Google how to do your own garbage disposal repairs, but without a licensed plumber, you may not get it right the first time around. So how much is garbage disposal repair? It will ultimately depend on who you go with, but most plumbers have base rates that can range between $100 and $300. Added on are usually labor costs, repair parts purchases, and more. While it can feel overwhelming having to pay so much for something, it can be a necessary purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is my disposal humming and not running?
- More than likely, there is something jammed or lodged in the disposal. It will need to be removed to prevent further damage to the blades and components. If it’s still humming after removal, then it could be an electrical or motor issue that will need to be addressed by a plumber.
- How much does it cost to repair a garbage disposal?
- It will depend on who you rely on for repairs. Most plumbers usually charge a base fee of about $250 with additional labor and parts purchased fees. That will change the total amount, but homeowners on average pay between $250 and $300 for repairs.
- Why would a garbage disposal not turn on?
- Your disposal may not be turning on for a number of reasons. You can troubleshoot this by attempting a hard reset of the system. There is a reset button on every disposal that you can press when the system is turned off. It should correct any connection issues and help your disposal turn on.
- How long should a garbage disposal last?
- Most residential garbage disposals have a lifespan of about 15 years. That being said, if you are using yours pretty consistently and regularly, that life expectancy may drop a few years. On average, homeowners can get about 8-10 good years out of their disposal motors.
- How do I know the garbage disposal is bad?
- One of the more obvious signs of a failing garbage disposal is slower grind times. If you notice it’s taking longer for your disposal to grind up and remove foods from the drain, it may be failing. There are also signs of foul odors, regular clogs and more that could indicate a bad garbage disposal.
Schedule an Appointment With Us Today
Dial (310) 454-2010 to set up an appointment for garbage disposal repair in West Los Angeles, CA. Let a Sunset West Plumbing & Rooter Inc. start helping you today!